WhatsApp recently announced a pricing-related policy change that will affect how you are charged when using the WhatsApp Business API via Sunshine Conversations. This change goes into effect February 1, 2022 and you will see any applicable charges on your April invoice.
This article provides additional details and addresses some of the questions you may have about WhatsApp’s policy change.
What does this mean for you and your customers?
Starting February 1, 2022, WhatsApp will switch from a notification-based pricing model to a conversation-based model. Instead of being charged per notification sent, businesses will be charged per conversation.
This change does not impact the additional charges you are already paying as part of your Sunshine Conversations license, nor does it impact how you send or receive messages from WhatsApp.
However, any of your WhatsApp-enabled customers with more than 1,000 conversations per month will incur additional fees on top of their monthly bill.
What is a WhatsApp “conversation”?
- A WhatsApp conversation consists of messages exchanged between you and your customers. They fall into two categories that are priced differently:
- User-initiated (think customer care and general support inquiries)
- Business-initiated (think post-purchase notifications)
- All conversations are measured in 24-hour increments, or "sessions."
- A session starts on delivery of a business reply to a user-initiated message or delivery of a business-initiated message to a user, and ends 24 hours later.
How are conversations charged?
- Charges are based on the end user’s phone number and rates vary by market. Click here for details.
- The first 1,000 conversations each month are free.
- Any customers with more than 1,000 conversations per month will incur additional fees.
What is the difference between the current and the new WhatsApp pricing model?
WhatsApp’s current pricing model is based on the number of Message Templates sent outside of an end-user-initiated conversation window. Full details here.
The new WhatsApp pricing model is based on a number of 24-hour conversation sessions. Learn more here
How does this change my contract with Zendesk?
Your Zendesk agreement is not affected by this change.
What do I need to do?
This change will happen automatically, and you will notice the new usage-based fee on your invoice after it goes into effect. We strongly advise that you review the details on WhatsApp’s official pricing page to learn more about how it may affect you and your existing customers.
Please contact your Customer Success Executive if you have questions.
Article is closed for comments.